( Read more...Collapse )
- Wed, 08:50: RT @stranahan: Let's be super clean about @politico standards - @joshgerstein calls a serial bomber "checkered." https://t.co/wIiBtjuzan
- Wed, 08:50: RT @ibbibby: I could take people shrieking that Trump is "destroying conservatism" more seriously if they'd flipped out like this over McCa…
- Wed, 08:51: RT @Cernovich: Pundits are going back to their old articles and tweets looking for any sentence that can be styled as a "prediction" for Tr…
- Wed, 08:53: RT @sdmattpotter: Congressmen who endorsed #SanDiego tax-subidized stadium got $1000s from NFL https://t.co/zMSi4m0PP4 via @sdreader https:…
- Wed, 08:57: RT @StupidBoomers: Remember when Democrats wanted to investigate a rodeo clown, but not the murder of US Ambassador by Islamic Terror? http…
- Wed, 09:04: We've had ideologues. Hilary's one. Tired of the group of them. https://t.co/7PcYffjcgL https://t.co/08wfKmcTl4
- Wed, 09:07: RT @justin1206: @benshapiro he has disavowed them multiple times!!! What do you want?!? Geez
- Wed, 09:07: RT @AussieBoye: .@benshapiro Unproductive comment, Ben. Ted had great conservative platform but lacked leadership. Time to accept voters'…
- Wed, 09:09: RT @brainpicker: Martha Nussbaum—one of the most incisive philosophers of our time—on anger and forgiveness https://t.co/raNfjINKU1 https:/…
- Wed, 09:09: RT @Cernovich: Up at 7:51 am and crying. Cucks gonna cuck. https://t.co/DWCiO89inR
- Mon, 19:49: RT @stranahan: Triggered SJW Sends Hilarious 2,000-Word Complaint to College Authorities After @Nero Event - Breitbart https://t.co/P4WVeez…
- Mon, 19:56: There Have Been Over 100 Hate Crime Hoaxes In The Past Decade https://t.co/fxEjzHJCc2
- Mon, 20:02: Laughter. https://t.co/WxT0VWENy5
- Mon, 20:16: RT @stranahan: Unless you consider National sovereignty, pro business and a strong foreign-policy conservative principles, yeah. https://t.…
- Mon, 20:19: They demonstrate the extent of their privilege before arriving at an institution that ostensibly disdains it. https://t.co/lsq4rqXNg3
- Mon, 20:31: Testimony to the corruption of politics with the Clintons. Or did you mean something else? https://t.co/gz4FDVJRdW
- Mon, 20:35: RT @AmPowerBlog: Illegal Aliens and Communists Protest Donald Trump in Los Angeles for May Day https://t.co/SPbHgIrBxe
- Mon, 08:38: RT @JohnRiversToo: The Left honestly believes they should be allowed to respond to Speech with Violence. Just ask them. https://t.co/9kFXae…
- Mon, 08:52: RT @Nero: Why I want MORE bigoted speech, not less https://t.co/tSu71inU7f
- Mon, 08:57: RT @seanhannity: WATCH: A Trump Supporter Walks Through Hell https://t.co/GDGFlZpwPJ
- Mon, 09:01: RT @swagbymilo: 📂Documents └📁Feminism └📁Gender Wage Gap └⚠️Sorry, this folder does not exist.
- Mon, 09:14: RT @Daddy_Warpig: NOT a parody. Real person, #TrigglyPuff's close, personal friend. Because OF COURSE she is. https://t.co/7hgTpFz0SS
- Mon, 09:18: This is the level of rhetoric against @realDonaldTrump ? Just slanging? You've convinced me: he can win! https://t.co/NnLQfQt6ee
- Mon, 09:19: RT @AnnCoulter: "If Trump loses..America disappears..Maybe I'll organize Facebook groups 2 help me desecrate Teddy Kennedy’s grave.” https:…
An article from the Mail
says that moderns are about one standard deviation less intelligent than Victorians.
While it bases its test on reflex time, I'd suggest that a simpler demonstration of the same thing is the everyday vocabulary employed in novels and popular non-fiction. It is much larger, full of reference to standard works (Book of Common Prayer, Shakespeare, King James Bible, Pilgrim's Progress &c. &c.) most of which are now considered too difficult for highschool, which remains the final degree for the majority of the population. Thomas Hardy, Anthony Trollope, and George Meredith were major novelists, though the standard was Dickens. Thomas Carlyle is one of the most enjoyable non-fiction writers. In the US, Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry James would be his opposite numbers. Take a moment and try them out. My trick is to have a pocket dictionary nearby, and make a pencil mark every time I have to look up a word: if I see something with 4 or more, I take time to write it out for myself. There may be other tricks that work as well when facing unfamiliar vocabulary.
What's discouraging about this is the direction
of the change over time, and how poorly it is reflected in our popular understanding of ourselves. Reality. It takes work.
Not sure what to make of this. Was browsing newspapers around the world, hit Australia, and ran into google insisting that the news site was unsafe (I'm browsing, not sending credit card information), and then ran into a server denial. Went through Google to see if the link had changed, ran into the same thing. Copied the link, searched for a proxy that existed to avoid censorship, and got in.
If the links from the US to Australia are getting corrupted before the transition to dictators censoring at will, I can imagine how that evolves.
( Read more...Collapse )
- Mon, 17:55: Because there have to be ways to alienate voters in the platform! We are the GOP! https://t.co/itrxB5ZNeC
- Mon, 18:07: Trump is not a smooth talker like the politicos: and they think that's a criticism of him, rather than them. Interesting.
- Mon, 19:59: RT @Cernovich: I exposed your hoax. Everyone saw my article and research. It's over. Go do some real journalism, if you can. https://t.co/d…
- Mon, 19:59: RT @HeroOfCanton42: Reminder when dealing with accusations from ideologues. #GamerGate https://t.co/ZodMjSrjsM
- Mon, 20:06: RT @wrathofgnon: At any given point in time and geography, the vernacular is the only sustainable form of architecture. https://t.co/JDCN7g…
- Tue, 08:25: RT @HeroOfCanton42: Reminder when dealing with accusations from ideologues. #GamerGate https://t.co/jsYgEwT5Yz
- Tue, 08:27: RT @moldbuggery: A fair definition of Orwellian government is one whose principle of public legitimacy is contradicted by an accurate perce…
- Tue, 08:33: RT @DarkTriadMan: "Narcissist" is the new attack label of desperate political fools. "How dare you have grand vision?" What cucks. https:…
- Tue, 08:34: RT @Nigel_Farage: EU free movement makes us less safe as a country. Let's Leave EU and take back control of our borders. https://t.co/HN72R…
- Tue, 08:35: GO LEE! https://t.co/jL9XU20jBa
Publishers generally have a backlist of books that they think will take off, and they've got the printing sufficiently automated that they can do a short run, stock the wholesalers' warehouses, and wait. Shakespeare makes a good one. Just redo the cover every decade or so, and it has a bump in sales.
But then there are books which so perfectly don't fit when they are published, and so perfectly fit the situation 40 years later that...
The book is The Camp of the Saints by Jean Raspail
: a book only praised by the French and American conservatives, and therefore not worth reading. It stayed on the backlist, finding different republication rights in different decades, unitl 2011, when it hit the best seller list, and stayed close to it ever since.
Because it fits what is going on in Europe now, and what the political establishment wants to happen to the US now. They want a more biddable electorate, not as independent, not as well paid. And they're getting one.
And they're getting one.
And you wondered why Trump and Cruz had an impact.
( Read more...Collapse )
- Wed, 09:11: So Rubio supporters are throwing the election to Trump. Interesting. https://t.co/Mhj5GKzjrP
- Wed, 09:42: RT @Lauren_Southern: Not all cultures are equal. There are distinctly savage and distinctly civilized cultures. #TheTriggering
- Wed, 09:42: RT @benshapiro: If you're of minority ethnicity, your segregated "safe spaces" are precisely what Jim Crow racists wanted. Idiots. #TheTrig…
- Wed, 09:42: RT @Cernovich: Support for Trump cost another man his job. Trump support is huge, but most remain silent. #TheTriggering https://t.co/Y6…
- Wed, 09:43: RT @Lauren_Southern: Everyone from twitter coming into work in full damage control mode. #TheTriggering "SIR WE ALREADY TRIED MAKING IT N…
- Wed, 09:43: RT @scrowder: Oh college #SJWs. How ever will you handle REAL life? #TheTriggering https://t.co/HIlWXiVL9v
- Wed, 09:44: RT @Cameron_Gray: #TheTriggering If free speech or a mere tweet hurts you, you’re an emotionally damaged person who should seek professiona…
- Wed, 09:44: RT @JaredWyand: Mexicans need to stop running from their failures & fight to build a thriving country of their own #TheTriggering https://…
- Wed, 09:44: RT @JaredWyand: White people are responsible for inventing the bulk of everything you see and use Respect that #TheTriggering https://t.c…
- Wed, 09:45: RT @BrowningMachine: When you immigrate to a country, it's up to you to adapt/adopt its culture, not impose yours. #TheTriggering
The God of this world has characteristic ways of acting and moving, and the motivations he uses have been long known: force, greed, selfishness, ambition and pleasure.
I think it's easier to note that there are characteristic ways of persuading, and look for those.
1. Encouragement to dream, to escape from the limits of the world as it is, and the consequences that might deter you.
2. Justify failures, so that "it's not my fault".
3. Allay fears, so that you don't expect consequences.
4. Confirm suspicions, so that it's someone else's fault.
5. He'll help you throw rocks at people you should be listening to.
That's the pattern of a lot of persuasion in the world, But then, you'd expect that the god of the world would set patterns, right?
- Tue, 08:24: Freedom is important: without it, we cannot work, play or live at our best. 1/3
- Tue, 08:24: Despite the counsels of cowards, what happens when people are under surveillance is not freedom, but its opposite. 2/3
- Tue, 08:26: And the promises of safety generously offered by the people with the guns waiting for a summons to act ... 3/4
- Tue, 08:26: from those who surveil are equally bogus.4/4