In the USA, we use traditional measures in everyday life, and SI when we have to communicate on topics that might have international interest, like science. One of the place that bleed over occurs is in medicine, which, although an art, subject to many individual vagaries, is allied to science.
Pediatrician, discussing fevers, said a low fever was 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit. I'd internalized the number as 100 years ago, and took a moment to see her thermometer: she had one set to report on the Celsius scale. 37 is 98.6, 38 is 100.4, 39 is 102.2, and 40 is 104 in the cute little lisp converter I wrote to figure this out:
(defun ftoc (x)
( * (- x 32) .5556))
;Correctly translate Fahrenheit to Celsius
(defun ctof (x)
(+ ( * 1.8 x) 32))
;Correctly translate Celsius to Fahrenheit
Result? I keep my definition, and note that the pediatrician may be using the Celsius numbers as shorthand for low, serious, and emergency fevers.
And add a new characteristic error to my collection. Do you have any favorite characteristic errors you notice?
( Read more...Collapse )
- Thu, 12:15: RT @d20_highroller: Nearly two years of anti-#GamerGate's lies and dishonesty summed up in one tweet. https://t.co/hMVJWtix14
- Thu, 12:16: RT @GamerGateTweets: This is Azealia Banks' deleted tweet #GamerGate #AzealiaGotSuspendedParty Unsuspend Azealia https://t.co/D07ElwjSbU
- Thu, 14:53: RT @RedPillTweets: Azealia created a new account and accused Twitter of racism. Then she got banned again LOL: https://t.co/8HLpxcclv9
- Thu, 14:54: Why should facts matter to the Climate Change (TM) crowd? They just want money and control. https://t.co/OHPAj80UGM
- Thu, 15:12: RT @davidharsanyi: I guess Trump's butler is more important than Obama's pastor
- Fri, 06:56: RT @politicsiswar: Gabby Giffords: Universal Background Checks Not Enough, Legalize Confiscation. https://t.co/V8AhmOjPNx 4 U, not me! http…
- Fri, 06:57: RT @jjauthor: Political correctness will be our undoing. https://t.co/dI9cx9UbqX
- Fri, 07:01: RT @NolteNC: Typical stupid, biased analysis from same left wing politico that told us OCare would bring costs down. https://t.co/KHMzsImv…
- Fri, 08:57: RT @michaeljohns: "Real conservatives" DON'T: Support #TPP. Oppose wall/immigration deportation laws. Support H-1B visa program. Welcom…
- Fri, 09:11: RT @FoxBusiness: .@Varneyco: "Politicians give workers a raise so fewer workers get jobs." https://t.co/Baj1DS8sIn
( Read more...Collapse )
- Wed, 18:36: Laughter. The only ones using love potions in the Potter series were girls. You were saying, about rape cultue? https://t.co/dToSZHVpev
- Wed, 18:41: RT @BillFrezza: Meme of the Day https://t.co/H9NT7XxPI3
- Wed, 18:47: RT @Cernovich: Trump won't gain any new supporters if he releases his tax returns. Pointless for him to do so.
- Wed, 19:25: Reality endorsements: https://t.co/A3QPdD7rkk
- Wed, 20:03: Is @realDonaldTrump "qualified" to be President? OF COURSE. https://t.co/YpuISlS85a The idiots screaming "disqualified"? Not so much.
- Wed, 20:10: RT @MensHumor: I know I'm not the only one... https://t.co/OcEsHzLn6l
- Wed, 20:14: RT @BlueWaterDays: It still amazes me the amount of hate that some GOP voters have for Trump they never had for Obama.
- Wed, 20:20: RT @AlexisinNH: I must have missed the part where the WaPo dispatched 20 reporters to dig into the Clinton Foundation https://t.co/BnF9x8vk…
- Wed, 20:38: RT @PrisonPlanet: Facebook Censoring Pro-Donald Trump Posts? - https://t.co/bc6Qda3i7C https://t.co/MQLQvG0IYw
- Thu, 07:07: .@GeneLingerfelt perhaps a rethink is in order. https://t.co/urddBrX4Ba
( Read more...Collapse )
- Wed, 09:47: RT @HeroOfCanton42: Revolt admits they are agent provocateurs. John Kelly admits he hates #GamerGate https://t.co/E0BToBh71q https://t.co/g…
- Wed, 09:48: RT @jamiedupree: GOP lawmakers grudgingly move towards support of Donald Trump https://t.co/R8NZNGFmS9 https://t.co/RJYF7zNtJO
- Wed, 09:48: RT @Grummz: Any system that relies on a small group of humans to filter, tag and moderate its content is hopelessly prone to bias: Facebboo…
- Wed, 09:55: RT @ZombieProblms: You can't ban me from your neighborhood just because I "look scary" and "want to kill you." That's discrimination.
- Wed, 09:58: RT @BritXNic: Cosmo sex tip 56. If he's rich but married, lie about taking birth control.
- Wed, 11:31: RT @stranahan: Almost to City Hall. What really bothers me about being thrown out of last nights Supervisors meeting. https://t.co/ZIS3oaEq…
- Wed, 11:39: RT @SomeKindaBoogin: spoiler it's because it's all about nationalism vs. globalism now #Trump2016 https://t.co/IckiYjkga3
- Wed, 11:40: Laughter. Would Security let it slide last night if you were a regular at the Supervisors Chambers? https://t.co/a1ZcsuhavI
- Wed, 11:49: RT @cmahar3: To be fair, this latest Windows 10 update didn't just cause Google Chrome to stop working. Every program on my laptop no longe…
- Wed, 11:51: RT @LindaSuhler: Good God San Francisco to Expand 'Sanctuary City' Law - Even After Steinle Murder #SecureTheBorder #NoAmnesty https://t.co…
- Mon, 18:33: RT @EugeneMirman: Regardless of who you support this coming November — please try to be condescending and assume the worst of everyone you…
- Mon, 18:40: RT @DPRK_News: Beet ration increases from six pounds per family to 2,500 grams per family, in celebration of victorious Seventh Workers Par…
( Read more...Collapse )
- Wed, 08:50: RT @stranahan: Let's be super clean about @politico standards - @joshgerstein calls a serial bomber "checkered." https://t.co/wIiBtjuzan
- Wed, 08:50: RT @ibbibby: I could take people shrieking that Trump is "destroying conservatism" more seriously if they'd flipped out like this over McCa…
- Wed, 08:51: RT @Cernovich: Pundits are going back to their old articles and tweets looking for any sentence that can be styled as a "prediction" for Tr…
- Wed, 08:53: RT @sdmattpotter: Congressmen who endorsed #SanDiego tax-subidized stadium got $1000s from NFL https://t.co/zMSi4m0PP4 via @sdreader https:…
- Wed, 08:57: RT @StupidBoomers: Remember when Democrats wanted to investigate a rodeo clown, but not the murder of US Ambassador by Islamic Terror? http…
- Wed, 09:04: We've had ideologues. Hilary's one. Tired of the group of them. https://t.co/7PcYffjcgL https://t.co/08wfKmcTl4
- Wed, 09:07: RT @justin1206: @benshapiro he has disavowed them multiple times!!! What do you want?!? Geez
- Wed, 09:07: RT @AussieBoye: .@benshapiro Unproductive comment, Ben. Ted had great conservative platform but lacked leadership. Time to accept voters'…
- Wed, 09:09: RT @brainpicker: Martha Nussbaum—one of the most incisive philosophers of our time—on anger and forgiveness https://t.co/raNfjINKU1 https:/…
- Wed, 09:09: RT @Cernovich: Up at 7:51 am and crying. Cucks gonna cuck. https://t.co/DWCiO89inR
- Mon, 19:49: RT @stranahan: Triggered SJW Sends Hilarious 2,000-Word Complaint to College Authorities After @Nero Event - Breitbart https://t.co/P4WVeez…
- Mon, 19:56: There Have Been Over 100 Hate Crime Hoaxes In The Past Decade https://t.co/fxEjzHJCc2
- Mon, 20:02: Laughter. https://t.co/WxT0VWENy5
- Mon, 20:16: RT @stranahan: Unless you consider National sovereignty, pro business and a strong foreign-policy conservative principles, yeah. https://t.…
- Mon, 20:19: They demonstrate the extent of their privilege before arriving at an institution that ostensibly disdains it. https://t.co/lsq4rqXNg3
- Mon, 20:31: Testimony to the corruption of politics with the Clintons. Or did you mean something else? https://t.co/gz4FDVJRdW
- Mon, 20:35: RT @AmPowerBlog: Illegal Aliens and Communists Protest Donald Trump in Los Angeles for May Day https://t.co/SPbHgIrBxe
- Mon, 08:38: RT @JohnRiversToo: The Left honestly believes they should be allowed to respond to Speech with Violence. Just ask them. https://t.co/9kFXae…
- Mon, 08:52: RT @Nero: Why I want MORE bigoted speech, not less https://t.co/tSu71inU7f
- Mon, 08:57: RT @seanhannity: WATCH: A Trump Supporter Walks Through Hell https://t.co/GDGFlZpwPJ
- Mon, 09:01: RT @swagbymilo: 📂Documents └📁Feminism └📁Gender Wage Gap └⚠️Sorry, this folder does not exist.
- Mon, 09:14: RT @Daddy_Warpig: NOT a parody. Real person, #TrigglyPuff's close, personal friend. Because OF COURSE she is. https://t.co/7hgTpFz0SS
- Mon, 09:18: This is the level of rhetoric against @realDonaldTrump ? Just slanging? You've convinced me: he can win! https://t.co/NnLQfQt6ee
- Mon, 09:19: RT @AnnCoulter: "If Trump loses..America disappears..Maybe I'll organize Facebook groups 2 help me desecrate Teddy Kennedy’s grave.” https:…
An article from the Mail
says that moderns are about one standard deviation less intelligent than Victorians.
While it bases its test on reflex time, I'd suggest that a simpler demonstration of the same thing is the everyday vocabulary employed in novels and popular non-fiction. It is much larger, full of reference to standard works (Book of Common Prayer, Shakespeare, King James Bible, Pilgrim's Progress &c. &c.) most of which are now considered too difficult for highschool, which remains the final degree for the majority of the population. Thomas Hardy, Anthony Trollope, and George Meredith were major novelists, though the standard was Dickens. Thomas Carlyle is one of the most enjoyable non-fiction writers. In the US, Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry James would be his opposite numbers. Take a moment and try them out. My trick is to have a pocket dictionary nearby, and make a pencil mark every time I have to look up a word: if I see something with 4 or more, I take time to write it out for myself. There may be other tricks that work as well when facing unfamiliar vocabulary.
What's discouraging about this is the direction
of the change over time, and how poorly it is reflected in our popular understanding of ourselves. Reality. It takes work.
Not sure what to make of this. Was browsing newspapers around the world, hit Australia, and ran into google insisting that the news site was unsafe (I'm browsing, not sending credit card information), and then ran into a server denial. Went through Google to see if the link had changed, ran into the same thing. Copied the link, searched for a proxy that existed to avoid censorship, and got in.
If the links from the US to Australia are getting corrupted before the transition to dictators censoring at will, I can imagine how that evolves.
( Read more...Collapse )
- Mon, 17:55: Because there have to be ways to alienate voters in the platform! We are the GOP! https://t.co/itrxB5ZNeC
- Mon, 18:07: Trump is not a smooth talker like the politicos: and they think that's a criticism of him, rather than them. Interesting.
- Mon, 19:59: RT @Cernovich: I exposed your hoax. Everyone saw my article and research. It's over. Go do some real journalism, if you can. https://t.co/d…
- Mon, 19:59: RT @HeroOfCanton42: Reminder when dealing with accusations from ideologues. #GamerGate https://t.co/ZodMjSrjsM
- Mon, 20:06: RT @wrathofgnon: At any given point in time and geography, the vernacular is the only sustainable form of architecture. https://t.co/JDCN7g…
- Tue, 08:25: RT @HeroOfCanton42: Reminder when dealing with accusations from ideologues. #GamerGate https://t.co/jsYgEwT5Yz
- Tue, 08:27: RT @moldbuggery: A fair definition of Orwellian government is one whose principle of public legitimacy is contradicted by an accurate perce…
- Tue, 08:33: RT @DarkTriadMan: "Narcissist" is the new attack label of desperate political fools. "How dare you have grand vision?" What cucks. https:…
- Tue, 08:34: RT @Nigel_Farage: EU free movement makes us less safe as a country. Let's Leave EU and take back control of our borders. https://t.co/HN72R…
- Tue, 08:35: GO LEE! https://t.co/jL9XU20jBa
Publishers generally have a backlist of books that they think will take off, and they've got the printing sufficiently automated that they can do a short run, stock the wholesalers' warehouses, and wait. Shakespeare makes a good one. Just redo the cover every decade or so, and it has a bump in sales.
But then there are books which so perfectly don't fit when they are published, and so perfectly fit the situation 40 years later that...
The book is The Camp of the Saints by Jean Raspail
: a book only praised by the French and American conservatives, and therefore not worth reading. It stayed on the backlist, finding different republication rights in different decades, unitl 2011, when it hit the best seller list, and stayed close to it ever since.
Because it fits what is going on in Europe now, and what the political establishment wants to happen to the US now. They want a more biddable electorate, not as independent, not as well paid. And they're getting one.
And they're getting one.
And you wondered why Trump and Cruz had an impact.