Real Property Law ● Tax Law ● Corporate Law
Exceptional ability to deliver broad and in-depth knowledge on business, tax and legal strategies for growth, direction and risk management of major institutions. Trusted advisor with impeccable ethics and integrity.
• Effective at balancing legal requirements against the needs of the organization -- Researched, designed and implemented standard commercial real property acquisition process. Result: saved 50% of legal fees over six acquisitions (total savings about $36,000).
• Expert strategist and legal tactician --Managed negotiating process to a close over the objections of opposing counsel. Result: savings of about $5000/week in legal fees for our client.
• Confident, extremely responsive, knowledgeable and capable -- Created simplified termination letter for recalcitrant ex-employee. Result: willing to sign, saving time and possible lawsuit.
• Hands-on leader – Created training program and materials for two new independent contractors. Result: two hours from unknown skill to “on the street”, generating 23 leads the next day, increasing the pace thereafter.
• Catalyst for a series of innovative projects -- Implemented bulk mailing system. Result: saved 38% on postage costs for mailings over 150 pieces. Designed and created simplified corporate bylaws. Result: increased recruitment to the board. Evaluated and investigated environmental due diligence reports, recommended some purchases and suggested declining others, avoiding entanglement with state and federal environmental laws, saving hundreds of thousands of dollars.
RECENT EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCE
REAL ESTATE INVESTOR, Scottsdale, AZ, Las Vegas, NV, Los Angeles, CA 2003 – Present
Commercial Mortgage Broker
Independently research and analyze market data in the cities of Las Vegas and Scottsdale identifying emerging real estate opportunities offering substantial gains when bought and sold. Successfully acquired and divested multiple real estate sales transactions totaling several million dollars. Generated and negotiated legal and financial documents to facilitate real estate transfer of title and loan buy-sell/refinance transactions.
Positioned company for sustained growth; reviewed available properties, emerging market opportunities, directed investments and negotiated and sold properties achieved 40% return in Scottsdale, mitigated losses in Las Vegas.
Proposed financing and independent underwriting for commercial properties valued under $10M; establishing a multidisciplinary approach to the complex nexus of commercial and regulatory issues.
ARNOLD F. WILLIAMS, Counsellor at Law, Los Angeles & Westlake Village, CA 1994 – 2003, 2006-present
Responsible for providing calculated and tactical counsel to senior executives and civic clubs on business succession, planned giving, tax and estate planning and asset protection.
Steered clients through the planning and preparation of irrevocable trusts including: Charitable Lead Unitrust (CLUT) and Charitable Remainder Unitrust (CRUT) and their various tax (e.g., estate, gift, generation skipping and income) implications to ensure understanding and trustee’s acceptance.
Engaged in tax & business planning for entrepreneurs.
Championed Planned Giving for charities and estate, disability and tax planning for families.
Lawyer (Associate), KU & FONG, Los Angeles, CA 1991 – 1994
• Business formation, operation, employment & compensation law
• Immigration appeals
• Real property purchase, sale, leasing
Lawyer (Associate), DOWLING, MAGARIAN, PHILIPS & AARON, Fresno, CA 1987 – 1991
• Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate and Partnership law
• Real property and environmental law
Page, HUNTINGTON LIBRARY AND ART GALLERY, San Marino, CA 1980 – 1982
MS Office Suite, EMACS (with org-mode), Audacity, audio pod casting, Basic Unix user interface
Familiar with Apple Mac, LaTex typesetting,
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
University of California School of Law, Los Angeles, CA 1984 - 1987
Masters of Business Administration (Management and Business)
University of Southern California Marshall School of Business, Los Angeles, CA 1982-1984
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities (Classics with Honors)
Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 1974-1979
Member, State Bar of California
Member, Sons of the American Revolution
Fellow, Esperti-Peterson Institute
Past President, Optimist Club of Pacific Palisades
Speaker on Planned Giving, Library Foundation of Los Angeles
Speaker on Environmental Due Diligence, American Bar Association Annual Meeting
Past Member, Southern California Planned Giving Roundtable
Past President, Central Valley Real Estate Roundtable
Past Member, Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce
Contributing author, Generations (Esperti-Peterson Institute 1999), Giving (Quantum Press, 2003), and Strictly Business, (Quantum Press, 2002)
Short articles on Planned Giving
Author, “Environmental Laws” chapter of the Manual on Acquisition Review (ABA, Chicago, 1995)
Author, "Overcoming the Boggs Dilemma in Community Property States" Conspectus Current pp.54-57 Fall 1999.